Friday, May 4, 2007

Real estate market May 2007

As I sit down to write a little bit today it has been snowing and we have almost an inch of snow on the ground (melting fast I must say) on May the 4th, welcome to spring in the Sierras! The last 120 days have been quite a ride for us so far this year and I have just completed my e mail newsletter for May. This provides me some reflection on how real estate and Reno for that matter is faring today and how we compare with last year. The facts are in and the market is down but then again anyone watching the news knows that. What the news fails to show is that the buyers are buying and the market has not fallen into a black hole and is not going to either. So far for the year we seem to be down on buyers about 18% over last year and as a whole the market has lost value of about 16% but I expect that number to change as we get in the May and June sales and I think the negative numbers will improve some. This week we have put several homes into escrow and our closing this week include one of the highest values for a home of it's type sold in the last 12 months! What I am seeing is a huge amount of buyer interest in wanting to make a purchase but also being very cautious. Our showing are way up and though our summer buying season is going to be weak I still feel that it will hold its own.
I have to admit that with the weather today the office is pretty quiet so I think that when I am done here that I will leave a little early today and go treat myself and sneak over to Orvis and look at some fly fishing stuff.

No comments: